Sunday, July 15, 2012

Baby Boy Layout

When I first started scrapping I started out as a consultant for TLC (Top Line Creations). Their products were based around collections which included kits and coordinated embellishments. I love kits for classes and workshops especially for those new to scrapbooking. They are also an excellent tool if you don't have a great deal of time for either scrapping itself or for hunting around your local scrapbooking store for the perfect products for your project.
As my scrapping style (and technical ability) have developed I've found that in general the TLC kits no longer suit my style of scrapping, though every now and then I use some that are left in my stash. I tend to be a lot more experimental in my scrapping these days and build my layouts with a broader range of products from a much wider range of manufacturers.
I pulled out one of the TLC kits for this layout. I had two adorable pictures of my nephew Troy which I wanted to put on an equally adorable layout for his baby album (even though he's now two!!) This kit came with two sheets of baby blue cardstock, two sheets single sided patterned paper and a 7" x 7" sheet of flocked, die-cut cardstock embellishments.
I cut a 6" x 6" square from each of the patterned paper. I distress inked around each of the patterned paper squares as well as the sheet of cardstock using Tim Holtz Antique Linen and Walnut Stain distress inks. The patterned paper squares were then adhered to the cardstock in diagonally opposite corners with a slight overlap.
I rounded the corners of the photos just to soften them a little then adhered them so as to offset the patterned paper. The die cut title was self-adhesive, so I adhered this against the darker patterned paper. 
The layout looked quite good just like that but I felt it needed some more softening (cos Troy was just so cute and cuddly and snuggley in these pictures), so I added some pale yellowy-cream flowers and highlighted them with dark brown rhinestones.
I added a small rectangle of manilla cardstock which I distressed the same as the cardstock and patterned paper. I hand wrote Troy's full name in a glitter gel pen and adhered this in close to the photos.
The final addition was a couple of small brown rub-on scrolls just to balance out the two opposite corners of the layout.
I love the final look of the layout. It's simple, yet soft but not overly feminine so my sister (a non-scrapper) won't think it's too girly.

1 comment:

Migdalia said...

What a Sweet Layout!!TFS