This week I've been trying to clear up some of these long unfinished projects and layouts... with some success I might add. Finally things seemed to fall into place. Funny that it seems to happen when you just say to yourself... "dammit I need to get these bloody pictures on the page... like it or lump it".
I started by changing the cardstock. Instead of a green background, I went for Kraft. Though I loved the green so it didn't disappear too far.
Given the subject matter... kitten up a tree... I wanted to have some trees somewhere on the page... to keep up the theme. I couldn't have green trees on a Kraft background that just wouldn't look right, but I also didn't want to go back to a boring green background with Kraft trees. So I experimented...
- In order to have the Kraft cardstock as my background and be my trees I had to use the green as negative space.
- On the back of the green cardstock I sketched a couple of rough trees.
- To get a natural look, I tore the tree shapes out by hand.
- I temporarily adhered the green trees in place and lightly traced around them.
- Using the traced lines as a guide I loosely inked a tree shape using Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I made sure to ink well beyond the traced lines so that I had lee-way to move my green negative spaces slightly to alter the final shape of my trees.
- When I was happy with the colouring of my "trees", I temporarily placed the green negative spaces. At this point I made a few slight adjustments to the green shapes to give the final look of my trees before permanently adhering the shapes in place.
- I adhered my photos in place taking care to make up my eye-balled spacing was even. (I usually don't measure)
- I added my title across the bottom part of the layout.
At this point I wasn't sure if I was finished or not, so I took a couple of photos and decided it needed more, though I wasn't sure what... so I left it overnight and contemplated it in my sleep LOL.
- I tore some thin strips from the green trees bits I had discarded. I roughly bent each strip in half following the line of the strips.
- I chalked the two sides of the strips in two shades of green chalk. I wanted the strips to stand out from the green background rather than blend in.
- I adhered the strips in place with Elmers Glue.
- The title didn't really stand out enough, so I outlined the letters with white pen to coordinate with the white borders of the photos.
- Having sorted the bottom section of the layout the top needed something extra. I found some old "jungle leaves" I'd die cut years ago but never used. Even though they were already green patterned paper, I distress inked the leaves to look more tropical.
- I adhered the leaves in place giving them a little dimensionality.
And here is the final result...