Thursday, January 5, 2012

Getting Organised

If you read my last post for 2011 you would have seen my bold announcement that my word for 2012 is ORGANISE. So to show that I am walking the talk I want to share with you my first tool to help me organise.
But before I show my first creation for the New Year I have to ask a question and share my thoughts. For obvious reasons I have been pondering the term "Altered" and how it relates to off-the-page projects. To me "Altering" an item means that not only do you alter the way it looks, but you also alter its purpose or the way in which it functions. For instance if you turn an old book into a shadow box by cutting out the centre of the book, then it can no longer function as a book so it's purpose has changed, so it is an "Altered Item". If you decorate an item but it still retains its originally purpose and functionality then I considered that not to be altered as such but personalised.


What does everyone else think? Agree, don't agree? Or am I just talking semantics and it doesn't matter and no one really cares?


My first OTP project year is personalising my diary. This is the third year I have done this, though I only blogged last year and not the year before - sorry. Last year I added some extra pages - cardstock monthly dividers which I loved and found them to be a really useful planning tool, but to be honest by the time I got to the end of the year, I swear my diary ended up double the size it started!!!
This year I've re-covered the diary covers but created a separate Planning Folder for all those extra bits and pieces. OK it means I don't quite have the portability with everything in one location but I don't have the bulk (which was definitely an issue last year - and it weighed a ton!!!) and I think the new planner will be able to have more functionality once it is fully set up and operating smoothly. And it fits the bill of getting more organised!! (BONUS)
I know most people know how to (re)cover a book or journal but here is a step by step with pictures anyway. It's always useful to see how other people do things.


Personalising a Book/Journal/Diary:
Diary - fresh from the shop
  • Remove the front and back covers leaving the pages intact and still bound. If you intend to add other bits and pieces you will need to remove pages as appropriate.
    • Cut patterned paper for front and back covers. My diary is 8 1/2" x 6" so I cut the main patterned paper 10 1/2" x 8" (1" wider on all four sides). 
    • Cut the coordinated secondary patterned paper (for the insides of the covers) I cut 8 3/8" x 6".

    • Adhere main patterned paper to the outside of the front and back covers. Take care with this step if you are using a patterned paper with a right way up. I used Helmar Acid Free Glue whenever I am covering hard board like this because it dries reasonably quickly and holds on well and truly. It also dries clear which is a bonus in case you get some glue somewhere you shouldn't. I drip a trail around the cover (not the paper) then spread it evenly over the cover using an old credit card. Leave to dry, though this may not take too long if you have a nice even and not too thick coating of glue. You can roll with a brayer to make sure there are no air bubbles though I usually just run my hand across the page to make sure it has stuck properly.

    • If you are re-using the existing cover which has punched binding holes you need to re-use, manually cut one hole out of the patterned paper to give yourself an alignment hole. If you plan to use your Bind-It-All or similar you only need to cut one hole. If you are cutting your holes manually, then you need to cut all holes. If you skip this step, it will be MUCH HARDER to align up where your holes are to match the binding wire if you are re-using it.

    • Cut the mitre corner across the corner of the patterned paper but be sure to use either an off-cut of the hardboard used or an approximation (e.g. multiple layers of cardstock to same thickness as cover) to measure the distance out from the corner to cut.


    • Pre-fold the overhang around the side and onto the back of the cover and finger press into place. Try to make this as tight and crisp as possible.
    • Glue down either the top and bottom overhangs or the two sides. Using your thumb nail or a bone folder, press the mitre corner hard against the edge of the cover to give a nice tight and tidy corner fold.
    • Glue down the other two sides and then repeat for the other cover.


    • Sand the edges of the backing paper slightly if desired.
    • Glue the backing paper so as to cover the overhangs on the inside of each cover. Glue using the same methodology as mentioned in step 4 though put the glue on to the paper instead of the cover. Check your paper direction if appropriate. Leave to dry before attempting the next step to avoid clogging up your binding machine. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this step... doh!!!
    • Line up the paper stop guide on your Bind-It-All with the hole that you cut manually under step 5. Use this as your guide to align the new holes in the covers. Punch holes along the binding side following your Binding machines specific instructions. Repeat for both covers.

    • Re-attach your covers back in place.
    • Embellish as desired. I have attached die-cut numbers using my Xyron. After I had run the numbers through the Xyron, I coated them with Glossy Accents to give them a bit of added dimension.
     The top "1" is plain paper (scraps from the patterned paper used on the inside of the covers). The 2012 is the end result after coating with Glossy Accents. For a tutorial in more detail (inking foam letters) check out this earlier blog.

    • Add any additional embellishments such as a ribbon page marker if desired.
    The diary with the pages open to see both the front and back.
    I received a present bought from Kikki Stationery and gift wrapped in store complete with their personalised ribbon. I loved it so much so kept it to use eventually. The colours worked perfectly with the papers I had used to personalise the diary covers. I'm stoked I finally got to use the ribbon and I get to enjoy it every day.


    Step 1 towards my 52 weeks to get organised.


    1 comment:

    Gypsy said...

    I'd say you altered it and personalised it. I guess it could also be decorating.... but yeah I'd go with semantics. And who cares as long as you are happy and it works for you!