Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Christmas Craft Challenge... what should have happened but didn't... 1 of ?

I had all these great plans for the 2013 Christmas Craft Challenge here on my blog. It started off well... then it rapidly turned upside down and inside out and just became an EPIC FAIL!
My kids returned from a holiday down country and brought me back a very special gift... a lung infection. They had it and gave it to me, my husband and then my mother-in-law, who also lives with us.
This pretty much wiped me out. Throw in that I was temping (and still am) at the time... and it all just snowballed.
I've been looking for work since February 2013, so finally securing some work in November (thankfully just before Christmas, so it meant we were actually going to have a Christmas), it was important that I not do anything to jeopardize this work. So I kept working... which nearly killed me. After a full day of working I was heading home to bed... at 5.00 pm in the afternoon... before my  4 1/2 year old grand daughter. Unfortunately this meant that something had to be given up... and that was my crafting... all of it.
I finally felt over my flu a few days before Christmas, but by then it was a little bit too late to carry on. I didn't want to let you down so I will now belatedly share my Christmas Crafts as well as some I received from some totally awesome crafty friends... and some Christmas goodies I received on Christmas day!
There's too much for one blog post... but it won't be one craft per day... so hopefully you enjoy!

This was made using recycled corrugated cardboard, jute string, embroidery thread and Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.
Trim corrugated cardboard into desired shape and sizes. I cut mine into stars - two different sizes. I carefully pulled one side off each star to reveal the corrugations then adhered two of the larger stars back to back with the string between. I wrapped metallic embroidery thread around the smaller stars randomly before adhering these on top of the larger stars to both sides of the garland. I ended up with 20 or so star groups on my garland.

Cardstock (kraft), tissue paper, Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Ranger Archival Ink, Tsunkineko VersaMark Ink, Lindy's Stamp Gang Embossing Powders.
Lightly stamp white tissue paper with the stamp of your choice. Be sure to use Ranger Archival Ink or Staz-on Ink so that when you adhere the tissue paper onto the cardstock, the ink doesn't run. Cut the cardstock to size - about 4" x 2". When the ink has dried completely, lightly coat the cardstock with liquid adhesive such as Mod Podge or Elmer's Glue then lay onto the back of the stamped tissue paper. Don't worry if the tissue goes on wrinkled as it all adds to the texture of the finished item. Repeat with as many cardstock backs are you can fit on the tissue paper, then set aside to dry.
When the adhesive is dried, gently tear the excess tissue paper from around the outside of the cardboard. Again don't worry if you don't rip the edge straight or some of the tissue pulls off the front of the cardboard. It all adds texture to the finished item.
Ink around the edge of the tag with Tim Holtz Distress Inks - I used Antique Linen, Vintage Photo and Walnut Ink. Heat set with heat tool.
Stamp chosen image with VersaMark Ink then generously sprinkle with Lindy's Stamp Gang Embossing Powder. Shake off excess embossing powder and set image with heat tool.

I have to confess these Christmas cards are not my best work... but I still like the end result. I used some card bases from a K & Co card kit I received in a swap (a number of years ago). I die cut the frame for the front of the card and heat embossed the image as above using a stamp I received free from a magazine. I applied a thin line of glue around the edge of the frame and adhered coordinated glitter.
I cut apart some small holly sprigs I had purchased from The Warehouse then adhered these around the edge of the frame before adhering it onto the front of the card using double sided foam adhesive squares.

No comments: