Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Doodling Un-Challenge

I saw a cool doodling challenge that runs for the duration of January on the YouTube channel of a friend of a friend. (Poetspice on YouTube). I thought about doing it. I was inspired to do it but I didn't want to do the challenge if you know what I mean. So I thought about it some more, and some more and then some more and before I knew it, the first week was over and more importantly I was back to work. (My Christmas break was so not long enough. I had barely achieved that totally relaxed state and was ready to do all those things I had planned to during my time off but reality had other plans.)
As I diligently packed my bag for work the next day, I decided to throw in an small art journal and a small plastic bag with a pencil, eraser and a selection of black pens. I made up my mind to play along but without formerly signing up to the challenge.
It's Summer here (all be it a bit cool for what I would really refer to as Summer) but it's still well and truly nice enough to to head outside for lunch to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. I am really lucky that I am working at an educational facility at the moment so there are plenty of seating, sheltered and grassed areas to sit on and around and enjoy the outside.
I had my lunch and still had some time to spare so I opened my art journal and started to doodle. By the time I finished the first page, I had made up my mind to undertake the challenge but without completing the challenge. 
In coming up with a theme for my doodling I decided:
  1. Each day's journal would include the day number somewhere as a significant part of the doodle; and
  2. I would only use black pens for my doodles, of varying widths.
Here are my doodles for the first week... one per day (well two per day until I had caught up). Some were very quick, completed in less than 15 minutes (what was left of my lunch break). Others took several sittings over the course of a day or two.
 Day 1 - Flower
 Day 2 - Swirls
Day 3 - Geometric Patches 
 Day 4 - Stretched
 Day 5 - Heart Pillow
 Day 6 - Flames
Day 7 - Seventh Heaven

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

Sweet! If I'm allowed to have faves I love 2, 3 & 4... super cool work there chickie. And I totally agree the holiday season went way too fast!

Unknown said...

What a cool idea - love what you have done, and just awesome therapy. Doodling is a really cool way to alleviate stress - I used to facilitate workshops for counsellors and one was using doodling as an easy way to debrief after they had been with a client. Fantastic Paula.

Unknown said...

Thank you Gypsy - and I have to agree those are my favourites as well, especially number 2. After I finished that one, I really knew how I wanted to approach this project. Every time I look at it, I like it more.
Thank you Denise. Yes it is amazingly therapeutic even for just fifteen minutes at lunchtime. It's a great de-stress.