Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Craft Challenge - Day 16

My apologies... it has been nearly a week since my last post so I have a bit of catching up to do. I've worked full time this week, plus done over time, plus done a couple of after hours evenings on my other work so to be honest I've not had time to do any crafting or posting, so I hope you can forgive me.

Day 16 - Egg Nog

Yes I know it's a really big stretch to say this is Christmas Crafting... but I crafted it with my husband's assistance, so I'm counting it. This was a first for both of us as we had never tried egg nog before. Yes I know it is generally a cold weather drink (Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere is cold) and yes I know it is the middle of Summer here in New Zealand... but we served it cold!

I found an easy peasy recipe online - Best Recipes but modified it for what we had in the fridge and pantry at home.

Our modified recipe for Egg Nog

Ingredients:
6 whole eggs (no separation as hubbie can't do that particular task)
1 C white sugar
1/2 t vanilla essence (as I didn't have vanilla extract)
1 C Malibu White Rum (the only non-premixed bourbon/whiskey or rum in the house at the moment)
1/4 t nutmeg (though we didn't measure it, just sprinkled what felt right)
2 C milk
1/2 pottle brandy cream
1 C cream (ordinary, unthickened, straight from the bottle)

Methodology:
Beat eggs until light and fluffy (note: use a bowl that is big enough to fit everything in so you don't need to change half way through making the recipe - for hubbie's benefit)
Gradually add vanilla, sugar and nutmeg while beating
Stir in milk, cream and brandy cream
Chill (all good in theory but we couldn't wait that long)
Sprinkle with a little sugar (really didn't need it) and/or nutmeg
Enjoy!!

Warning - as this recipe includes raw eggs, please do not consume if you are pregnant, elderly or very young... but then if you are any of those should you really be drinking it because of the alcohol????

Drink and enjoy... first sip, you taste a hint of rum... by the third sip... ohhh yeah, there it is!!!

No comments: