The postcards had to be 4" x 6" and because they were mixed media designs, I wanted a bit more strength to the base of the postcard so I recycled some cardboard boxes for each postcard.
I painted each side of the postcard base with a couple of layers of gesso to hide the print on one side and provide a even coat on the other side.
I added some flowers using a template from The Crafters Workshop with some Texture Paste over a portion of the front of the postcard. Once the texture paste had completely dried, I misted the entire front of each postcard with a different colour. Some were Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists and others were Heidi Swapp Color Shine Mist.
In the top right corner I added some layered flowers. I started with half of a large white fabric flower which I folded in half (so it was the equivalent of a quarter flower). I then layered half a batik paper flower (I only had three flowers, so I was clutching at straws and making do so I used what was in my stash). I then added a full white paper flower and top the stack off with some bling which were the only things I did buy (and they were from the discount store.)
On the left I layered a strip of antique embroidered lace which I picked up at the local hospice shop - definitely a bargain buy!!!
I traced around the frame of the heart from the Heidi Swapp Clear Pop Tags we received at Creative Adventures Downunder. We had used the heart in one of Heidi's projects that we created, but I really liked the shape of it, so I used the leftovers as a template to draw the hearts. I once again used recycled cardboard packaging for the hearts. I coloured each heart randomly using a warm colour palette from my Crayola Water Soluble Oil Pastels. (Yes I'm making sure I get plenty of use from them after I invested in them). I blended them with some spritzed water.
I misted over the top using a KaiserCraft stencil with Mr Hueys Mist - white and Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist - Pearl.
And then everything went wrong...
I wanted to protect the stencil so it wouldn't rub off or smudge so I painted on a thin coat of gloss varnish... however, instead of protecting the stenciled image it just blurred everything and turned it into a white wash. I still liked the end result so didn't scrap it but decided to work with what I had.
I stamped randomly some script images from one of the Glitz Distress Stamps in Archival Ink - Coffee.
To finish off the hearts I wrapped some lurex embroidery threads in red, hot pink and silver randomly across the surface of the hearts. Then I randomly added some pearl bling to secure the threads in place... more as a security precaution, but I love the end result!!
The finished hearts were then attached in place on top of the antique lace.
I have a postcard stamp but it wasn't big enough to cover the back of the postcard and to be honest would have looked silly stamped on the back as it was. I loved the style of the word "Postcard" so I masked this off before inking it and stamping it onto the centre back of each postcard. I then used the same ink and with my water brush drew each of the lines on the back of the postcard by hand. (Something I will never be doing again!!!)Front and back of the postcards.
I really enjoyed making these mixed media postcards and I love the end results... very me with the lovely bright colours. The hardest part was trying to decide which one I wanted to keep for myself!!